In late November a symposium on aluminum and composites machining was organized in France. This technical event was also an occasion to officially open the new Composites Application Center of Orléans, which aims at providing manufacturers with leading support for composites machining applications.
Around 50 people attended presenatations and live machining demonstrations led by Precorp, Sandvik Coromant and their guest speakers – Technical University Nantes and IFMA Clermont-Ferrand as well as the CAD/CAM software suppliers CGTECH Vericut and Dassault Systems. Having these partners avaliable helped to show visitors complete solutions, including tools and programming.
Topics that were covered:
- Milling and drilling applications in composite materials (CFC/CFC; CFC/Alu; CFC/Alu/Ti)
- Composite materials and applications
- Programming and computer modelling for fibre placement and drilling-riveting applications
- New Aluminium cutter (special tool developped in France, to replace R790) and solid carbide solutions (Dormer)
- Plunge milling solutions
- Understanding and solving vibration problems
- Latest developments in programming with Catia Software